Home security is a big issue, but it’s not something you want to spend all your
time thinking about. There’s lots of different information out there, and
depending on who you talk to, you’ll get lots of different slants on the
To make things easier, we’ve come up with a short checklist to help you secure
1. Identify areas of easy access. Make sure back doors and windows, under-floor
doors, and garage doors are secure.
2. Identify any areas where someone could hide, especially in the yard. Keep
your garden trimmed and well lit.
3. Know your exit points in case of an emergency, and ensure the kids know them
too. This can include upstairs windows if the internal stairs become blocked
(say by fire).
4. Don’t lock yourself inside the house. Old-style deadlocks can be a death trap
in an emergency. Some new locks, such as Lane’s Aspen series, have a
5. Make sure all of your windows and doors work properly, so you can keep
thieves out and get yourself out when you really need to.
Lane Security Locks are available at all leading hardware stores.