Outdoor furniture can really suffer in the harsh Australian sun. The timber
can become greyed and dull. To restore this would normal be a time consuming job
but Wagner have come up with a product that will cut that time in half, W550
Wagner W550 Fine Spray is a spray gun that allows you to paint or stain a
variety of items leaving you with a professional looking finish. Its simple to
use, portable and best of all, easy to clean. Its three-stage adjustable paint
jet, is good for different types of surfaces and in different areas of
application. It also has a turbine built into the hand piece, which eliminates
the need for a separate air hose to the base unit, giving you greater reach and
- Ensure the furniture is in sound condition - the legs are secure and the slats
on the tabletop are in good shape.
- Sand the tabletop and legs with a belt sander to take out the larger ridges,
splinters and imperfections.
- Finish sanding the timber with a palm sander or a sanding block with fine
grade sand paper.
- Any bad edges and ridges will pick up more of the paint finish and will often
encourage the paint to run.
- Dust the surface off with a brush and position the table in an area that is
out of the direct sunlight and out of the wind. Sun will dry the paint too
quickly and the presence of wind will blow particles of dust and debris onto the
freshly painted surface. A double garage is perfect as the Fine spray can be
controlled enough to ensure there is minimum over spray.
- Fill the chamber with your desired paint or stain and set the nozzle to spray
the tabletop first. The best setting would be the wide setting as this gives you
maximum coverage on bigger surfaces.
- Make sure there is no dust or particles that could clog the nozzle on the
surface of or mixed in with the paint or oil.
- Test the sprayer on an off cut of timber or out side to ensure the paint flow
- Spray the table top with nice even strokes to avoid clumping of the oil in
areas. The best way to ensure the even finish is achieved is by buttoning onto
the trigger only when you are moving the gun along the surface.
- If you continue to button on and hold the gun stationary there will definitely
be a pool of oil to wipe off.
- Use the nozzle setting on either precision or round to spray the legs. This
will give you more control of the oil coming out of the nozzle and also minimize
the over spray hence not waste too much paint.
- Repeat this process for the second coat with a very light sand in between
Wagner W550 Fine Spray is available at leading hardware and paint specialty